United Blind of Walla Walla
Visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/unitedblindofwallawalla
Welcome to our site. We are a local chapter of the state-wide consumer organization—Washington Council of the Blind (WCB). In turn, the WCB is a state chapter of the American Council of the Blind (ACB).
On the local level, we are a 501(c)(3) organization. We meet on the 2nd Monday of the month at 2:00 pm.
We are pleased to welcome new members—those new to the prospect of decreasing vision or those who have experienced vision loss in the past. Some of our members are friends or spouses of other members and have not experienced vision loss or blindness.
- We have participated in helping to fund the accessible signals that give audible and tactile indication that the Walk sign is illuminated.
- We have participated in health fairs and other opportunities to let others know about life after vision loss or blindness.
- We supply brochures to appropriate settings where they can be found by people who have questions about vision loss.
- We provide programs of interest related to blindness at our meetings.
- Sometimes we just share informally about what life has taught us individually.
- We participate with our state organization by serving on its committees and supporting such state-wide programs as scholarships for college students; the quarterly Newsline publication; and lots more. See the many committees and programs that we participate in at the state level. WCB Committees Page
Individually: we are a diverse group with a wide variety of hobbies, skills, and interests. We share in the common belief that there is life after blindness and life abundant.
04/24/2021: UBWW and WCB’s GiveBIG Statewide Campaign.
We are helping to raise funds for WCB and UBWW at the same time with a 50/50 split. The first $1,000 in donations will be matched by $1,000 from the WCB board members, so please give early! The minimum donation is $10, and we all know how quickly money adds up. All donations are much appreciated! Here is the direct link to our fundraising page:
This link will take you to our page, but the Donate button goes to the WCB page. This is correct, and the WCB treasurer will be able to know how to direct the funds from the back end of the process. If you have any questions or need assistance making your donation, please feel free to contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your donation, and please share this opportunity with your network of family and friends!
Vivian Conger, Treasurer, UBWW
- Meet us using a conference call on the 2nd Monday of each month.
- On May 10, 2021, our guest speaker will be Adam Klein, a Civil Engineer from the Engineering department of the city of Walla Walla, talking about Walla Walla sidewalks and anticipated street and sidewalk projects planned for this year. Contact us for more information.
- When you #StartWithaSmile on #PrimeDay, Amazon donates to United Blind of Walla Walla. Shop for great deals at smile.amazon.com/ch/87-0778440.
- Many pharmacies are now offering prescription labeling in alternative formats. Learn more at http://lflegal.com/2016/03/talking-label-2016Update/
- Be sure to check out the following link. Former President, Alco Canfield Interview: K-LOVE radio’s Becky Hansen talks with UBWW President Alco Canfield on September 20, 2015. Here, on the CloserLook program, she gives a thumbnail sketch about our organization.